Wednesday, July 24, 2013

I'm back!

Tomorrow I'll be back on the PCT. I can't quite believe it. My family is having a reunion in Oregon. The temptation to add a couple days and take a side trip to do a little more hiking PCT was too great to resist. So, I left Houston this afternoon and had clear skies flying into Portland this afternoon. Had a great view of several mountains on the way in. I'm guessing they were Mt Hood, Adams, and St Helens. They were still covered in snow. Hard to believe considering the heat we've been enduring in Houston for quite awhile now. 

I will be hiking with my Dad and niece, Kayla. Our alarms are set for 4:45 so we can be on the road by 5. We hope to be at Timberline on Mt Hood by 7 am. We will be hiking north to Cascade Locks on the Columbia River which is the border between Oregon and Washington. It's about 42 miles. We are bringing two days' worth of food. The reunion starts Friday so between the limited food and the start of the reunion, we are motivated to get it done in two days. In our favor is the trail is mostly downhill. 

It's 11:15 pm which is well past "hiker midnight", and especially late for those who woke up in Houston this morning. Considering the early alarm tomorrow, I should have been in bed hours ago. So, with that said, it's lights out for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment