Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Happy Trails

I'm not really sure how to write this post. It's one I never planned on writing. 

I left Agua Dulce yesterday...in a car.  I am off the trail. I woke up this morning at my parents' house and tomorrow I will fly home. 

My PCT experience was one I will never forget. There were some great moments, but they were not enough to mask the monotony and loneliness I felt on the trail. As my enjoyment diminished, I felt a growing need to be home. I missed Tom and the boys and the dogs and my pillow and cold soda and...  My decision to hike was a selfish one and when the scale begin to tip away from enjoyment and towards the impact it was having on my family and what I was missing at home, it became harder to focus on the trail. Even when my sister was hiking with me, I many times felt alone and bored with the hike. 

My expectations and reality were not in sync. Knowing it was an especially high volume year for hikers on the PCT, I had thought it would be hard to find an available tent site or even sneak behind a tree for some business without being seen. In reality I was alone most days and camped alone most nights. That's a lot of solitude for a "people person"!

I kept thinking I would adjust to the loneliness, or connect with other like-minded hikers. I did meet some great people, and leapfrogged with them on the trail. It just wasn't the same as a bond or relationship. At the end of the day, no one knew or cared if you were safe or accounted for. Maybe that escapism is appealing to other hikers. I just felt alone. 

I stuck with the trail in spite of these thoughts, knowing it was a good learning experience for me and that I would maybe adjust. I also didn't want to pull the plug too soon, before I fully experienced life on the trail. I honestly feel that I have a pretty firm understanding of the life of a thru-hiker. Yes, the scenery would change, the weather would change, and the other hikers within a day of you might change, but the day-in day-out head down solitary life would be a constant. 

I am pleased with how well my body responded to the physical stress of the hike. No blisters except for one deep tissue blister that was absorbed. Of course there was some pain and soreness, but my body held up well and was always ready to hike in the morning...albeit after a slow start most times!

The PCT will probably hold a spot in my heart forever. I would enjoy being involved in it in some way again. Maybe the life of a trail angel would suit me better!  I may get the shot at that later this summer when I plan to be in the Pacific Northwest. 

I feel some disappointment but I have confidence I made the right decision to abandon my quest for a PCT thru-hike. Thank you for your encouragement, support and for following along on my adventure. 

9 comments:

  1. There is no shame in leaving the PCT. The loneliness would have gotten to a lot of people. I am proud of you for starting the adventure and for being smart enough to decide it was time to stop. Rest up when you get home and then lets have lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant. Will be good to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger, I'm so proud of you!! You had a fabulous adventure that will always be special to you, but for the reasons you stated above, you made a very courageous decision and I applaud you. That took guts! And I can't even imagine being 'that alone'! Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations for the 400+ miles you conquered. I am no less proud of you than if you had gone the whole way. I think in the scope of life, you made a good decision for you and your family. Physically, you did magnificiently and I'm confident that you could have gone the whole distance, but why?! I'm sure you learned some valuable lessons about yourself and it takes guts to know when the best choice is to reevaluate your goals. I hope to see you at the Reunion. Good job!! Aunt Gerrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know you have had my love, support and prayers through this adventure. I am proud of you for what you accomplished, and proud of you for following your heart to return home. I can't help but think about Dorothy who discovers "there's no place like home". Love you, girl! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Ginger, I am so amazed at all you accomplished! You are such a talented person in so many ways. Your blog was so interesting, and the pictures were great. It was wonderful to see the support of your Dad, Mom and Joey. I am especially glad that you will be reunited with your family soon. You clearly love them very, very much. I'm so honored to call you a friend. Love, Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am extremely proud of what you accomplished with the hike. You are amazing!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ginger, so proud of you! It takes an amazing amount of courage to start, and even more courage to know when to stop! You've accomplished so much and learned so much about yourself -- it's time for God to show you what's next! Praying for you today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Soda Pop,

    If anyone knows exactly how you feel right now .... it's me. When I left the PCT last year it was one of the hardest decisions of my life. I remember quite well the loneliness on the trail. Thru-hiking is 10% physical and 90% mental which sounds backwards but is very true. Keep your chin up and don't beat yourself up.

    Take tremendous pride in knowing you reached for your dream. Not many people can say that and for that you are special in all of our hearts. I have temendous pride in you! You are awesome!

    Take Care,
    Drake (Matt)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your nickname "Soda Pop" I kinda like soda too. So proud of you and your desire to do what you did. You are a hero in my book for even thinking about doing what you did. See you at WAQG Mary C

    ReplyDelete